• Noah

June 2019

The majority of June was spent revising or in the exam hall, however the end of exams was in sight and I managed to remain motivated, and by the 24th I had completed all of my exams. Despite the time and stress they caused, I had managed to remain fairly consistent with training and remained in good form for my only race this month, a Super Series race at Eton Dorney on the 29th.

The forecast was for very hot temperatures, with a high of 31° being predicted. I was grateful that our race began at 9:15, as it meant that it would be slightly cooler. I had a good start on the swim, and finding another fast swimmers‘ feet after 50m or so meant I could position myself well without too much effort. Coming towards the first turn buoy just before halfway, I decided the pace wasn’t high enough and moved to the front to apply more pressure to the rest of the race. This worked well, and after a few hundred meters of this, I settled into a more comfortable pace and cruised to the end of the swim, still exiting the water in first place. I had a very swift T1 and went out onto the bike with a small lead over a group of 5. I did not want a large group to form as this would give a chance for the faster runners to get back into the race so I drove the pace hard on my own, hoping that only a few athletes would be able to catch me, leaving only a small group. My prayers were answered when 2 strong cyclists broke clear of the 5 chasers and we formed a breakaway group of 3 and worked very well together over the 20km distance, pulling out a gap of 90s over the chasing group. We came into T2 together, and we each knew a fast transition would be advantageous over the other 2. Unfortunately I could not find my run shoes quickly enough, and after a few frantic moments of searching I found them underneath another athletes wetsuit. I had lost around 20 seconds through this mistake and it would be a tough ask to catch the other 2 athletes who had already run out and established a lead. I knew I had to keep a cool head and pace the first lap of the run, so I didn’t fade in the second half. I slowly drew back the gap to the first athlete, and after 2km I had brought back both of them, and had a slight lead. I kept my momentum and pushed hard on the second lap, and managed to take the win by around 20s. Overall I felt i put in a good performance, but I admit I was lucky that my mistake in T2 did not prove more costly.

Looking forwards to july, I do not have any triathlon races planned but I will continue to work and try to peak in time for the world junior qualifiers on 3rd August.

thanks for reading


67 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Hi everyone! It's been a while since my last blog post, and I've been knuckling down and training hard over the winter in preparation for my final season as a Junior. Having finished my A-Levels last